All DCCCD colleges will be closed on Thursday, November 27 through Sunday, November 30. Colleges will reopen on Monday, December 1.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language
Measuring the Proficiency of the English Language Usage of Non-Native Speakers
How long is the test?
- Scores are accepted by more than 6,000 colleges and universities.
- Examinees must sign a Confidentiality Statement as required by ETS; this is provided by the Testing Center.
- El Centro Testing Center is open to everyone who is properly registered, regardless of race, color, creed, or national origin.
What does it contain?
- Internet-based test that takes 5 hours
What can I expect in the testing session?
- Reading - measures the ability to understand academic reading material
- Listening - measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities
- Speaking - measures the ability to speak English in an academic context
- Writing - measures the ability to write in a way that is appropriate for college and university coursework
The El Centro Testing Center is an ETS Certified Test Administration Site.
- Read, listen and then speak in response to a question
- Listen and then speak in response to a question
- Read, listen and then write in response to a question
Links for Additional Information:
- CTAS Facility Administrator
- 15 Internet-connected computers, which run the Windows Operating System and are no more than 3 years old
- The ability to dedicate these resources to ETS testing only on 15-30 test dates per year, primarily Fridays and Saturdays
- The ability to restrict other activities in the room during an estimated 6-hour test period
- Verifying test registrations
- Seating students at individual computers
- Ensuring ETS testing software is working properly on each PC
- TOEFL Facts (Information & Registration Bulletins for Information about TOEFL Internet-based test)
- ETS: TOEFL
- Practice Tests