Joining Phi Theta Kappa provides students with a competitive edge. Aside from the $90 million in scholarship opportunities, Phi Theta Kappa has many other opportunities such as recognition from 4 year colleges and universities. For example, Yale has recently joined with CollegeFish.org to help recruit students. Another opportunity for Phi Theta Kappa members is the tremendous amount of leadership skills they can build. It is also a platform for social interaction with other bright students.
In order to become a member of Phi Theta Kappa Sigma Tau Chapter there are a couple of requirements:
- You must be enrolled in at El Centro College.
- You must have completed at least 12 hours of coursework that may be applied to an associate degree (part-time students may be eligible).*
- You must have a grade point average of 3.5.
- You must receive an invitation for membership from El Centro College Sigma Tau Chapter.
- You must adhere to the moral standards of the society.
To find out if you are eligible for Phi Theta Kappa membership, contact our VP of Membership Jeni Patel at: email@example.com
or Advisor Kendra Harrison at: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Part-time students are usually eligible for membership if they have accumulated the total number of hours used by the college to designate full-time status (usually 12 hours on a semester system). International students attending El Centro College are eligible for membership if they have completed at least 12 hours of associate degree course work and have met the required cumulative grade point average.
Your Sigma Tau chapter is currently accepting scholarship applications to help cover the cost of the $95 membership fee. If approved, the membership fee would be covered at 100%. If you are interested, please complete the application and submit all required documents to Kendra Harrison, Room A-128. Should you require additional information, you may schedule an appointment at email@example.com
or call 214-860-2619. For more information contact us
We hold our PTK induction ceremony twice a year, one in the Fall semester and one in the Spring semester. We are thrilled to announce that we have set our Fall 2016 Induction Ceremony for December 1, 2016 from 6:30pm - 8:00pm at the Performance Hall. We would like all new members to attend as we welcome you to the Phi Theta Kappa family.
Our induction ceremony is where new members are formally recognized. Your family and friends are welcome to attend along with El Centro College administrators, staff, and faculty. We deliver a keynote address and our induction often concludes with light refreshments. Plus, it’s a great first step to connect with your new network of support!
Watch for your membership packet coming soon. Your golden key membership pin, membership certificate and ID card will be mailed to the address you provided on your membership application. Expect delivery by the U.S. Postal Service 5-7 weeks after accepting your membership. If you have not received your packet within this timeframe or if there was a mistake on your certificate, please contact us or the Phi Theta Kappa head office at www.ptk.org
Engage and take a test drive. Our chapter has lots of ways for you to connect and experience the full benefits of your membership. Plus, research shows that engagement helps members finish what they start.
Phi Theta Kappa members have an overall student success rate of 91 percent, far outpacing the national student success rate of only 38 percent. Members are also twice as likely to complete their degrees as non-members with similar grade point averages
** A person currently incarcerated is ineligible for membership. An individual convicted of a felony, or any crime whose potential sentence is greater than one year, may be considered for membership following completion of all conditions of sentencing, including probation.