Admissions »

Texas Residency

Texas Residency (In State)

In compliance with requirements from the Texas State Auditor's Office to establish Texas residency all applicants to state supported schools MUST supply documentation which proves residency in Texas for at least twelve (12) months prior to registration. This information is necessary even though you may have never lived outside the state of Texas or may have lived in Texas for many years. All claims of in-state residence must be documented in writing. Verbal/self-reported information is NOT acceptable according to the State of Texas Auditor's Office.

Regardless of the amount of time spent in Texas, students from out of state cannot use the time they are in the state as full-time students to count toward the twelve month residency requirement.

Therefore, one or more of the following items must be submitted with your application if you claim in-state status:
  • A copy of your permanent (laminated) Texas Driver's License, which is at least 12 months old.
  • A valid Texas Voter Registration Card, which is at least 12 months old.
  • A letter from your employer(s) on company letterhead, verifying employment in Texas for at least twelve months prior to registration.
  • A copy of a lease agreement in your name for at least 12 months prior to registration.
  • A copy of a property deed and/or current tax statement showing residency for at least 12 months prior to registration.
  • A copy of your transcript from a Texas high school howing attendance or graduation within the past 12 months.
  • Canceled checks, bank statements, or utility bills in your name covering each of the twelve months prior to registration.
  • Other documentation which would prove residency in.
  • Texas for at least 12 months prior to registration.

Foreign Nationals

Tuition is determined on an individual basis after complete documentation is submitted and reviewed by the Admissions Office.

If you are a Foreign National who has been granted Permanent Resident status that is not temporary and you have had your resident status for at least 12 months you should follow the steps above to establish state residency. Your resident card must be presented with your application.


Minor/Dependant of a Texas Resident

If you are a minor, or are claimed as a dependent on your parent/legal guardian's federal income, you may provide the information listed above in their name. You must also include a copy of the most recent federal income tax filed listing you as a dependent.


County Residency (In District)

Once your in-state residency status is established, your classification as in-district (Dallas County resident) or out-of-district is based on where you actually reside or on your ownership of property subject to the Community College Ad Valorem Tax. (The boundaries of Dallas County are the boundaries of the Dallas County Community College District).

If you are classified as a Texas (in-state) resident (see above) and reside in or own real estate in Dallas County, you are eligible for the in-district tuition rate. If you meet in-state requirements but reside outside Dallas County, you will pay the out-of-district tuition rate. If you move outside of Dallas County on or before a semester's certification date, you must pay the additional (out-of-district) tuition rate.

To establish in-district residency, you must present a permanent (laminated) Texas Driver's License in your name showing your correct Dallas County address OR one of the following:
  • A current lease agreement in your name at the correct Dallas County address.
  • A current Texas Voter Registration Card listing your correct Dallas County address.
  • A current automobile registration showing your correct Dallas address.
  • A copy of a current deed and/or property tax statement showing ownership of Dallas County property.
  • Printed checks showing your correct Dallas County address.
  • Business or official correspondence at your correct Dallas County address (i.e., utility bills, telephone bills, billing statements from department stores or credit agencies, etc.).
*Be aware that Dallas County limits and Dallas city limits ARE NOT the same. It is entirely possible to live outside Dallas County yet still have a Dallas city address. The following zip code areas may be either in or out of Dallas county depending on exact address:

75002, 75007, 75010, 75024, 75034, 75050, 75051, 75069, 75075, 75080, 75081, 75082, 75087, 75088, 75252, 75287.

The law states that if the institution later determines that the applicant was not entitled to be classified as a resident at the time of registration, the applicant shall pay to the institution the difference.